Sumac software is logical, easy to navigate and efficient. The program greatly facilitates managing our member database, communications, donations and comparative reports. Peter Turk and his associates are responsive, eager to help and always searching for input to upgrade their product. We are very glad to be using the program! – Katherine Carleton, Executive Director
Orchestras Canada/Orchestres Canada is a national membership organization for Canadian orchestras. OC’s activities are overseen by a national board of directors, and we have member orchestras in every Canadian province. Our membership includes 40 professional orchestras, 153 community, youth and training orchestras and 101 individuals.
Orchestras Canada/Orchestres Canada’s mission is to be the united national voice of the Canadian orchestral community, furthering and enriching the work of Canadian orchestras through programs and services in both official languages. We advocate for and with our members and we serve as a communications and resource hub for the orchestral community.
In 2006-07, our member orchestras reported:
- just over 3000 performances, for audiences exceeding 2.7 million – including 455,000 school children. Numbers are growing, too: from 2004-05 to 2006-07, audiences for concerts by Canadian orchestras increased by 21%;
- revenues of $150 million – 37.5% earned, 36.4% contributed, and 26.1% from the three levels of government;
- expenses of $148.9 million – a high proportion of which was spent delivering artistic programming to Canadian communities;
- the engagement of approximately 1200 professional musicians and just over 400 full-time staff members;
- support from thousands of volunteer board members and direct service volunteers.