The Peterborough Humane Society has been working in the City and County area for over 72 years to best meet the needs of animals and our community. The PHS advocates for the welfare of the animals in Peterborough and the surrounding community; we work to alleviate animal suffering, facilitate rescues, provide shelter, healing, facilitate adoptions and reduce pet overpopulation. We do this by providing food, shelter, medical care and most importantly love and attention to the animals that come through our doors, while they wait for their Forever homes. The Peterborough Humane Society does not receive any government funding to support our shelter; we rely on donations to help us provide support to the animals.
Working in cooperation with many agencies and departments we continue promoting responsible pet ownership concepts through community outreach, one-on-one encounters with residents and the use of legal action as the last resort.
Approximately 1,300 animals are received at the shelter each year, many of which are lost, injured or abandoned. While in our care they are provided with food, medical care, shelter and love and attention. We are an excellent choice if you are seeking a companion animal. The Society has many purebred and mixed breed animals available for adoption. Often, small animals such as rabbits, guinea pigs and rodents are also available.
If you are looking for something specific, please check out our animals available for adoption on our website. This information is updated as animals arrive and leave the shelter.
The Peterborough Humane Society also receives injured wildlife which is transferred to a rehabilitation center for care and future release into their natural habitat. What we do:
- Investigate incidents of cruelty to animals including abuse, neglect and abandonment
- Facilitate adoption of pets to new loving homes
- Reduce pet overpopulation by providing spay/neuter surgery for every dog/cat/kitten/puppy adopted from our animal center
- Participate in various adoption programs with Corporate Sponsors to find homes for loving companion animals.
- Give tours of our shelter to individuals and groups
- Our auxiliary volunteers operate a thrift shop at the Northcrest Mall featuring gently worn men and women’s clothing to assist in raising funds for our animal welfare programs.
- Administer and enforce Municipal Animal Care and Control By-Laws
- Reunite lost pets with their owners by administering licensing and identification programs