Donation Receipt Templates
Donation receipts can be slightly tricky to create since there are legal compliances you’ll need to follow. So to make things easier we’ve created charitable donation receipt templates you can use for every occasion!
Free Non Profit Donation Receipt Templates
1. Cash donation receipt template
Use a cash donation receipt template for anyone who’d like to donate in cash – it’s especially important to make sure this is recorded to have proof of donation and prevent misuse. Use this donation receipt template for donors who have not received any merchandise in exchange for a donation.
2. Cash with Advantage/merchandise deduction donation receipt (Canada only)
These donation receipts are issued when a donor receives a gift in return for a donation. This could be in the form of merchandise, a meal or any services charities provide in exchange for donations. The taxable amount must take into account the cost of the gift and therefore requires a different donation receipt.
If the amount of the advantage is more than 80% of the cash gift, an official donation receipt cannot be issued.
3. Non-cash/in kind donation receipt with advantage (Canada only)
These donation receipt templates are issued when a donor receives a gift in return for a donation of items such as clothes, food etc. The cost of the gift the donor receives must be subtracted to calculate the taxable amount.
4. 501c3 donation receipt template (US only)A 501c3 donation receipt template is issued only by registered charitable organizations and allows users to claim tax benefits based on their donations. Charities are only required to submit 501c3 donation receipts for amounts greater than $250, but it is good practice to issue a 501c3 donation receipt for all donations. Don’t forget to include your registration number on the donation receipt!
5. In kind donation receipt templateIn-kind donation receipt templates are used to acknowledge donations that don’t have a clear monetary value – such as food, clothes, old computers and other electronic items. If the value of the items are over $5000 they must be assessed by a qualified appraiser, otherwise it is up to the donor to assess the items
6. Year end donation receipt templateA year end donation receipt template can be issued to donors who have made multiple donations throughout the year to present them with a consolidated donation receipt for the year.
7. Clothing donation receipt templateUse a clothing donation receipt template to document clothes that you have received from donors. Donors usually estimate the pricing of the items donated by a fixed percentage of an item’s original value.
8. Food donation receipt templateIf you’re running a food donation drive a food donation receipt template will help you easily record the list of food items someone donated.
9. Vehicle donation receipt templateA vehicle donation receipt, also known as a vehicle donation bill of sale, must be issued once your nonprofit accepts the donation of a vehicle. The donation receipt needs to include a detailed description of the vehicle as well as it’s approximate value.
10. Church/religious organization donation receipt templateBoth the US and Canada recognize religious institutions as charitable organizations, making donations to churches, mosques, temples and synagogues tax exempt. Your donation receipt will need to include the same information as a 501c3 donation receipt template and also include the name and address of your institution.
What is a Donation Receipt Template and Why do You Need One?
A donation receipt template is used as proof that cash or property was gifted to your charity. Donation receipts are used by charities while filing taxes and by donors to claim income tax deductions.
To learn more about donation receipts, check out this guide on nonprofit donation receipts.
Using Non Profit Donation Receipt Letter Templates
While using these non profit donation receipt letter templates, it is important to note that not all organizations are qualified to issue tax deductible donation receipts. Only registered charities (501c3 in the US and T3010 in Canada) can issue legally valid donation receipts .
If your nonprofit isn’t a registered charity, you can still use these free non profit donation receipt templates, but donors won’t be able to claim any tax benefits against them.
Why Use Donation Receipt Templates?
Issuing a donation receipt on time is critical to effective fundraising and good donor relations. Donors are much more likely to give again if they receive a donation receipt within the first 48 hours of making a donation.
A prompt donation receipt makes donors feel like their money has reached safely and lends credibility to your organization.
Don’t forget to include a thank you letter along with the 501c3 donation receipt to make donors feel appreciated!
Who Can Issue Donation Receipts?
Organizations that can issue legally valid donation receipts (for tax purposes) include:
- Religious organizations such as churches, temples, synagogues and mosques
- Nonprofit organizations and charities (501c3 donation receipt)
- Nonprofit educational and medical facilities
Types of Donation Receipts
Donations are made in a number of ways. Donors can give cash, gifts, auction items, vehicles, clothing or property. You will need a donation receipt template for each of these items (see non profit donation receipt templates above).
Since donation receipts are used for tax purposes, if you issue a 501c3 donation receipt you will need to follow certain legal guidelines. For example, nonprofits in the US and Canada are required to store 501c3 donation receipts for a year or more after the filing was made. In Canada, nonprofits file a T3010 registered charity information return.
If your nonprofit is registered outside these countries make sure you are aware of all legal requirements in your country before you issue a donation receipt.
When are Donation Receipts Sent?
Non profit donation receipts can be sent monthly, yearly and of course, right after a donation is made. While sending a donation receipt immediately after someone has donated is a must, you can also choose to send your donors monthly or yearly updates on their giving history.
Creating non profit donation receipt letter templates beforehand can help you send donation receipts with ease. Make sure you set reminders and create content to accompany your monthly and year end donation receipts.
A year end donation receipt template will help donors easily file their tax returns with a single document and save them the trouble of compiling the donation receipts they’ve received during the year.
You should send a year end donation receipt at the beginning of December (in the US) and before the end of February (for Canada). This gives donors ample time to file their taxes and claim benefits from their donation receipts.
Similarly, donors in your monthly giving program should receive a monthly donation receipt acknowledging their contribution along with updates about your work. If you only send donation receipts with no updates this might leave donors feeling unsure about what you’ve achieved or how their money is being used.
Do You Need to Issue a Charitable Donation Receipt?
In Canada there is no official requirement that charities send out non profit donation receipt letters or that it issue donation receipts within a certain timeframe – which means sending a donation receipt isn’t enforceable by law.
In the US, charities receiving amounts below $250 are not required to issue a donation receipt.
However, sending donation receipts is about much more than complying with the law. Even though they don’t legally need to, most charities will issue donation receipts to people who have donated less than $250 to their nonprofit. Like we said earlier – donation receipts are key to good donor relations and make donors feel secure about giving to your charity.
How Do I Send Donation Receipts Easily?
Issuing donation receipts are an important part of donor management activities but can be tough to track. If you have a high volume of donations coming in, consider using a CRM software.
A donor management or CRM software like Sumac’s can make the process seamless by automating donation receipts. This removes the possibility of error while entering donation receipt details and ensures donors receive their receipts on time.
You can also work with spreadsheets to manually track incoming donations – but make sure a member of your donor relationship or fundraising team sets aside some time every two days to send donation receipts and thank you notes.
Use the non profit donation receipt letter templates above to design your own donation receipts.
What if You Issue a Donation Receipt With False Information?
We all make mistakes – and if you spend part of your day writing out names and amounts on 501c3 donation receipt templates, you can never be too careful! (Which is why we recommend automating the donation receipt process.)
Here is what the Canadian government has to say about issuing donation receipts with false information:
“A registered charity that issues an official donation receipt that includes incorrect or incomplete information is liable to a penalty equal to 5% of the eligible amount stated on the donation receipt. This penalty increases to 10% for a repeat offence within five years.
A registered charity that issues an official donation receipt that includes deliberately false information is liable to a penalty equal to 125% of the eligible amount stated on the donation receipt.”
Source: CRA Website
Explore Our Free Non Profit Donation Receipt Templates
Go ahead and explore these free non profit donation receipt templates! You can print out a donation receipt template pdf and hand write them at events or customize a donation receipt template doc with your logo and donor information before sending one out.
If you’d like to automate the process of issuing donation receipts – check out Sumac’s nonprofit fundraising software, which includes tools to streamline your fundraising activities and seamlessly issue donation receipts!