Website Integration Set Up Guide
Step 1: Preparation (SSL Certificate and Payment Processing)
A. Make sure you have an SSL Certificate
What is an SSL Certificate?
An SSL Certificate is a small file, installed on your web server to enable a secure connection from a browser to your website.
Why use SSL?
When a visitor submits sensitive data to a website, the data passes through numerous servers before reaching its destination. Attackers can intercept and read this information.
SSL encrypts sensitive information being sent over the Internet. This means that sensitive data, like credit card numbers, user names, and passwords, can only be understood by the organization receiving that information.
Why do I need one?
- To reduce risk of sensitive information being stolen from your constituents
- To gain trust from your web visitors
- To comply with PCI (Payment Card Industry) standards
- To increase your ranking in search engines
How can I tell if we already have one or not?
Try one of these methods:
1. Go to your website. If the address bar starts with “http:” then you are not using SSL. If it starts with “https:” then you are using SSL.
2. Go to your website. Look for an icon that looks like a closed padlock – it could be in the address bar or at the bottom in the status bar. If you see it, your website is using SSL.
3. Right-click a blank area and select View Page Info or Properties. Look for the Connection or Security option. Here you’ll see the status of the encryption of the website.
4. Ask the person in charge of your website.
How do I get one?
Contact your web host provider and request to purchase an SSL certificate.
B. Set up your Payment Processor
If you will be doing financial transactions on your website: (taking donations, selling tickets), then you need a merchant account with a payment processor supported by Sumac.
Once you have have a merchant account, tell Sumac about it. To do this, follow the instructions in the Payments section of the Sumac Users Guide.
Step 2: Customize and Receive Your Web Package
Tell us which pages you need on your website, how you want them customized, and how you’d like to receive your finished Web Package. To do this, please complete this form.
When we receive your answers, we’ll create your Web Package and set up your Connection Service.
Notes on receiving your finished Web Package
Here are some important considerations:
1. Receive it by email
If you choose this method, we will send you the Web Package in a .zip file with instructions for your web person to place it on your web site.
2. Give us FTP access to your website
FTP ( File Transfer Protocol) enables our support team to put the Web Package directly on your website. If you choose this method, you need to provide us your website’s FTP credentials. Your website provider or IT person can provide the FTP credentials we need. We will also provide you with URLS to integrate with your website.
Step 3: Stay Up-to-date!
Each release of Sumac has free, new features for your web package too! We share them with you in our Release Notes, via email and on our website. If you ever want to upgrade your web package to make use of a new feature, let us know and we will help get you up to date!
Our Sumac Gurus are here to help.
If you have any questions about website integration, please email or call:
CAN +1 416-504-8724 x 1
USA +1 716 844 6770 x 1