Data Migration Guide
Step 3b: We Migrate the Data
Our responsibilityYour Sumac data migration expert formats and imports your data, as outlined in the approved Data Mapping document. When the migration is complete, we will install your database and provide you with instructions for accessing it.
Standard Time frame3 weeks
GuidelinesIn addition to following any instructions specified in the Data Mapping document, your Sumac data migration expert will make the following changes to the formatting of your data so that it conforms with Sumac’s requirements:
- Mandatory Fields: Mandatory fields in Sumac must contain data. If any of your incoming records do not have data for mandatory fields, we will populate the field with a default value. For a complete list of mandatory fields and their default values, please consult the Data Migration Terminology and Defaults Guide.
- Defaults for Fields Requiring a Specific Format: Certain fields in Sumac require data to be entered in a specific format. If any of your incoming records are not correctly formatted, we will re-format it according to set defaults in order to conform with the field requirements. For a complete list of default formats, please consult the Data Migration Terminology and Defaults Guide.
- Duplicate Contacts: Because we cannot make assumptions about client data, we are unable to identify and completely remove duplicate records from incoming data. We will, however, employ some measures, at the time of migration, to reduce the number of duplicate contacts. For details on how we deal with duplicate contacts, please consult the Data Migration Terminology and Defaults Guide.
LimitationsWe cannot make any assumptions about your data. This means that, unless specified in the Data Mapping document, we will not address the following data problems:
- Duplicates Contacts: if the same name appears several times in your data, we cannot assume that it is the same person. You will be responsible for merging duplicates during the Implementation Phase.
- Lookup Lists: All field values (drop-down menus options, multiple checkboxes options, etc.) will be imported as is. For example, if a column of data contains the contact type values “board”, “board member”, and “board mber”, your Sumac data migration expert is not in a position to decide that these three values mean the same thing. All three values will thus appear in your Sumac list of Contact Types. You will be responsible for cleaning up Lookup Lists during the Implementation Phase.