By: Billy Sharma, nonprofit direct marketing consultant, and author.
In this blog, you’ll find out exactly how Greenpeace increased their monthly giving by a whopping 332% using targeted emails.
Real-time Email Marketing Campaign
Segment Based on Giving History
|Prospect||Never donated before||Message:
You already support Greenpeace in many ways, whether it’s signing petitions or sharing campaigns on Social media. I’m hoping you’re ready to take the next step and join Greenpeace with a $15/month donation.
|Recent donor||Donated in the past 30 days||Message:
You’ve donated to Greenpeace really recently—thank you! We’re so grateful for your support. I’m hoping you’re ready to take the next step and join Greenpeace with a $15/month donation.
|Last year donor||Donated in the previous year||Message:
You donated to Greenpeace last year—thank you! We’re so grateful for your support. I’m hoping you’re ready to take the next step and join Greenpeace with a $15/month donation.
|Consecutive donor||Donated in both the previous two years||Message:
You are one of our most loyal donors and support Greenpeace year after year. We’re so grateful. I’m hoping you might consider joining Greenpeace with a $15/month donation to continue to power the change our planet needs.
|Lapsed monthly donor||No longer an active monthly donor but was in the past||Message:
I know you joined us as a monthly donor in the past and we are so grateful for your support. I’m hoping you will consider re-joining Greenpeace with a $15/month donation.
Analyze and Adapt
Greenpeace Canada increased monthly giving campaign results by 332% since 2018 and acquired 808 new monthly donors.
- Timing is important. Running a campaign early in the calendar year allowed them to leverage the momentum of year-end giving. Also asking recent donors to upgrade their gifts, when the cause and commitment were still top of mind, was very effective.
- Setting a reasonable deadline. Deadlines create urgency and drive supporters to take action.
- Communicating the right goal. Greenpeace clearly asked supporters to be part of what they were trying to accomplish.
- Using segmentation to personalize each message.
- Being agile; to quickly respond to current events.
- Using multi-channels. Even though email was the key driver of communication for Greenpeace, updating their donation page with campaign messaging and adding a pop-up on their homepage, to promote their ask on social media, helped yield more conversions.